Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hanging Up the Suit

It's Saturday afternoon. I slept in today (until just before 11am), made fliers for a cabaret I've been working on with a friend, sent some emails, zoomed around on Facebook, listened to NPR and got a greasy burger and fries.

And, for the first time in nearly three months, I did not think about Slim Goodbody.

Closing this show was a little strange. After my final performance in Cherry Hill, NJ yesterday (with a great crowd of students and teachers), I packed up, got in the Honda, turned on All Things Considered, and drove home. No fanfare. No tearful goodbyes to other cast members. No drinks after the show. I didn't even wind up calling the office. It felt like any other day on the tour, except that, in the back of my mind, I knew there was some sort of "finality" to it. Since it was not being "marked" in any other way, I decided to stop en route and get myself an ice cream cone. A small indulgence, yes, but one that seemed to make the end seemed tangible. (And very fitting, as I always tell the kids that "we don't need a lot of ice cream every day.")

Now, this is not the end of my time with Slim Goodbody. The company has asked me if I will job-in for the rest of the "semester" for the occasional show here and there (should they overbook and whatnot). And there have been some rumblings about possible work in the future. All of which are extremely, extremely tentative. However, it means that the suit is staying in my apartment a little longer, and that, at some time in the future, I'll receive a new batch of props and set pieces. So, despite the fact that the paychecks will stop coming, I am not really done.

To be quite honest, I'll be glad for a break. Slim has mostly been great fun, but it's also an exhausting job. In the five weeks I've been performing the show, I've put over 8,000 miles on the car, performed the shows 40 times, eaten far too many sandwiches made at Wawa, received dozens of hugs from kids, had profanities screamed in my face by staff members, performed on four hours of sleep, drunk countless cups of coffee, broken down in tears twice and laughed so hard I cried once. This job is truly not for a lightweight: it takes a huge amount of energy, focus and stamina to make it through even one day. And while it is something that I have really enjoyed (car accidents and profanity-screaming contacts notwithstanding), I certainly need time to recharge.

In closing, I want to share one memory from this tour that I'll certainly carry with me for a while. About a week back, I has an incredible Musical Health Show with a bunch of wonderful K-2s in Audubon, NJ. It was easily one of the best shows on the tour. The kids were so excited that they creeping up into my playing space!! And, after the show, a very timid first grade boy came up to me while I was packing up. "Excuse me, Mr. Goodbody," he said. "Can I tell you something?" I knelt down and smiled, waiting to hear about the time he bruised his joint, or which vegetables he thinks are the best. "When I grow up, I want to do what you do."

That is why I do this job.

1 comment:

  1. And let me take a moment to thank you for your hard work and for sharing your intelligence and talent. You were a joy to work with in rehearsal, quick to pick up changes and notes, incredible with making suggestions for improvements without being overbearing, and just an all-around excellent Slim.

    I feel like you really got the tricky balance of being both performer and stage manager, continually keeping yourself on track with presenting the material in the most entertaining and educational manner for each particular audience and show. That is, perhaps, the biggest challenge with these shows (along with the stamina, as you mentioned) and it seems like you hit it right on.

    I hope we get a chance to work together again.

    -m

    ps - Thanks also for doing this blog - I always ask for reports from the road and i almost never get them. These have been fun to read and also will help to improve the show for future performers.

    ReplyDelete